Monday, May 5, 2008

13 Things I would do if I won the lottery

I don't even play the lottery, so for me to win, I would have to find a ticket, or maybe Suzy would buy one on a whim. But right now it's up over 100 million dollars, and it's fun to think about what to do if you had that kind of money.

1. Build a Library for my college. I went to a small college in Arkansas and the library was awful. It didn't have anything, and the books it did have were super-old. I would love to give them a state of the art library. I would also build them a big fountain in front of it because I think every college should have a fountain somewhere on the premises.

2. Build a school in Thailand for former girls who were in slavery. I don't know how much this would be, but I think it would be worth it. I would love to give some these girls a chance to come out of that life and break some family cycles.

3. Travel. I would go to Ireland and Australia. I still don't think I could stay in a $500 a night hotel, even with that kind of money. I think I would still feel funny about it.

4. Buy a house in Marin County, California. I think this is where I would love to retire if I could. It's beautiful there. Sure, there's a lot of weird stuff there, but that makes it interesting.

5. Help Suzy's sister start her own bakery. She's a pastry chef, a mighty good one at that, and it would be cool to help her with that. Plus I'd let her make me carrot cake a lot. Mmmm. Carrot Cake.

6. Help my brother and his kids out a little bit. He jumped in to a family head first getting 2 kids almost immediately after getting married, which is great, but I think they could use a little bit of a buffer in their bank account. As long as he doesn't spend it all on chimichangas.

7. Adopt a few kids. I would love to have a ton of kids, especially ones from third world countries. I think it's cool to be able give somebody a totally different direction in life by giving them a family who cares as well as a family who could provide education and resources they couldn't get. Hopefully, it would protect them from a hard life, and then they can go on and make a deeper impact in their community as adults. Did you know the guitarist from Korn became a Christian and this is something he did. He adopted a lot of kids to give them a better life.

8. I would like to buy a VW bus from 1967-1976. I would restore it and make it awesome. This would be the only car I would buy. I like my Expedition, and I don't need to get any super expensive car for the name of it. Plus I get so mad at people who drive BMW's and super expensive cars because they drive like they own the road. They cut people off more than anybody.

9. I'd help support some of my friends who are missionaries. I know they have a hard time raising money for specific projects they want to do. It would be cool to help them spread the love of God throughout the world.

10. I would adopt a village in Africa. For $10,000 you can adopt a village in Africa through World Vision. This helps them get animals for farming, clean water, medicine, clothing, and education.

11. I'd send Suzy's parents on a trip. They help us a lot, and I don't think they get back to Korea or Japan as much as they would like to see their family. It would be fun to help them out with that.

12. I'd pay off all of our debts. This would be a relief off of Suzy.

13. I'd have a big ol' party, and have Flatfoot 56 come and play at it and have In & Out cater it.

Hopefully, if I ever won the lottery, I wouldn't change that much. I don't think I would need to buy super-expensive things. I don't think I would move into a super-big house. I would like to live life normally, and give a lot of it away to things that Suzy and I believe in and would like to support.

No comments: