Saturday, April 12, 2008

Baptist Children's Home

Today, we took the kids to the Baptist Children's Home. We didn't plan anything super special. We took a couple of bouncers and a lot of hamburgers and hot dogs, with intentions of hanging out and talking with the kids (they are all teen-agers).

I think everybody had a good time. I met a girl named Della. Her dad had died when she was 10 and her mom lost custody because she was giving the kids pot. Della started smoking pot when she was 11. She's 14 now, and her mom doesn't want anything to do with her. She is leaving the Baptist Children's Home in 9 days and she doesn't know where she is going to go. She's going to a foster home. She doesn't have anybody. No family, nothing. She told me, "I belong to the state, but I'm used to it." It breaks my heart.

Almost all of the kids have similar stories to Della. One kid was a Katrina victim. He was stranded in his home and had to swim out over dead bodies and everything. He lost all of his possessions and his family in that hurricane. I wish I could do more to help these kids.

Suzy and I have thought about fostering kids. I'd love to take so many of these kids in and let them see that they have somebody who does care for them. I don't want them to feel unwanted, but when the people who are supposed to care for them don't, then how are they supposed to feel. We're going to go back more often. It's been a while since we had been there, but I'm so glad that we went back. I know the kids had a great time playing football and basketball with everybody. Lupe is going to have some of the kids come to his Friday Night thing at his house, so that will be awesome. I hope these kids find someone who will treasure them. I hope these kids will see God.

No comments: