Friday, April 4, 2008

A Little Rant

One thing I've noticed lately is that there are a lot of people who are trying to raise money for different organizations. Tonight I was driving home from the grocery store, and a bunch of cheerleaders were standing on the side of a super busy intersection and just going up to cars and asking for money. Basically, they're acting like homeless people, hoping for a handout. What happened to people working towards raising money? What happened to car washes? What happened to selling candy and doing garage sales? All of the sudden people just hold up a sign and expect me to give them money. "We're going to Nationals," they say. I DON'T CARE! Do something about it. Instead of teaching kids to earn money and work hard for something, we are teaching them to feel entitled and how to beg for something that they didn't earn. (Standing on a street corner doesn't count as work). When I lived in San Francisco, I would give to homeless men standing on the street corner because they had a real need. But I am not going to give to a basketball team, a cheerleader group, or even a church group who just stands on a street corner holding a sign, when they are capable of doing some type of service to earn money. I was asked for spare change tonight, and I stood by my principals, I don't care how cute the boy cheerleader who came up to my car was, I didn't give in.

No comments: