Monday, April 21, 2008

The Scariest Movie I've ever Seen

A few nights ago, Suzy and I put Parker to bed, and then watched the scariest movie that I have ever seen. It didn't have ghosts or monsters or some psychotic killer or anything, yet it was frightening nonetheless. It was called, "Jesus Camp."

I had been wanting to see this for a while actually. It's a documentary about a Christian camp that looked like it was for kids between 8 and 12. If you know me, I love Christian camp. I've been to a ton. I've even preached a few of them. What was so scary about this one was what they were teaching the kids. They were teaching their kids how to be against everything. During the sermon, they were teaching kids how horrible Harry Potter is. During the sermon, one preacher pulled up a bunch of kids and put tape over their mouths that said "Life" for a pro-life message. Do 8 year olds need a message on abortion. Now, these are things that I agree with. I'm pro-life. I can even see where people can Biblically say that Harry Potter is wrong (witchcraft).

The thing I think is wrong is that there are more important matters about the Bible that should be taught. Let's teach them about Jesus. Let's teach them to obey the Bible. Let's teach them godly principles. Instead we're trying to raise a generation that is going to be against anybody who is different than they are. They are taught that the lady who has an abortion is the enemy instead of somebody who is a lady who is incredibly loved by God.

At the end of the movie, a bunch of kids from the camp went to Washington D.C. They stood outside the Capitol Building and had tape over their mouths with the word "LIFE" written over it. One young girl, who must have been 8 or 9, went up to a group of men and asked, "If you died tonight, where do you think that you would go?" They all said, "Heaven." She didn't seem to believe them and when she walked back to her group she said that she figures they're Muslim...maybe because they were African Americans. Interestingly, when a white couple didn't take their tract, the little girl thought they were probably already saved.

The thing that kills me about this is that Christians are already seen as being against everything and anything that is different than they are. I think it is important to make a stand for what you believe, but some things, in my humble opinion, don't need as much energy as people put into them, such as abortion. I don't think anybody has ever changed their minds about abortion after seeing a clever slogan on a sign. I think what changes minds and what changes hearts is showing people how much they are loved, by Believers and definitely by God. I don't really recommend this movie, unless you just want to be embarrassed.

2 comments:

MMA Lady said...

I thought the same thing. How about that cutout of George W. Bush and how they praised him? It was truly like a worship service for the president? And the little girl you mentioned "witnessing," remember when she was talking about what kind of church God "liked" to go to? And the homeschool teacher teaching her kids that science doesn't explain anything? I thought that movie was crazy.
You're so right. Let's teach about the love and peace of Jesus, above all else. I think that if you are committed to Christ, everything else will fall into place.
The last I read about that camp, it has been closed for awhile due to safety issues - I think they've been threatened and stuff.

Anonymous said...

finally got so see Jesus Camp; mrs. donut: i don't think it was that "evil" that they prayed for the president...

over all, there is some useful truth in this flick as long as it's taken with a grain (or maybe a bucket) of salt