Friday, April 4, 2008

Finding Faith: Searching for What Makes Sense


This was a book that I just finished by Brian McLaren. I've heard a of good stuff about this guy, so I thought I would try one of his books. There were some really good things in this book, and some things I really didn't like at all. A couple of times I though he was borderline blasphemous. But once I got to chapter 3 everything got a lot better.
Basically, he was writing to people who either don't believe or are on the verge of believing in God. He talked about what faith was and what it wasn't. One thing I liked was that he talked about the difference between good faith and bad faith. Bad faith is a faith that causes harm to people, such as the KKK who have faith that God says that white people are the master race, faith that causes people to blow up innocent people, etc...Good faith is faith that is good for everybody, that tries to make the world a better place. He goes a lot deeper into this, so if you're interested check out the book.
He also talks about the differences between atheism, agnosticism, and deism. He tried to answer some really big questions. He also talked about why he believes. He talked a lot about finding God through nature.
This was a pretty good book. It's very deep in parts, and some parts are hard to read. If you are interested in talking to people who have no faith, or have different faith, this could be a good book to read.

No comments: