Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Beach Blast Day Two

Day 2 was a super long, super good day. The junior high started with our annual Extreme Kickball Competition. It's basically like regular kickball, except for a few minor adjustments. First, you don't have to run to another base if you don't think you can make it safely. So, you can have as many people as you want on one base. Second, the kicker gets a woofle ball bat and they can knock away the ball if is thrown at them. Third, the team in the field gets a Frisbee that can be used as the ball. For instance, if a kid kicks a ball super far for a home run, the fielding team can have one chance to throw the Frisbee at them. If the Frisbee hits them, then they are out. It was pretty complicated, but super fun.
During free time, I dug a hole. I spent the whole free time digging this hole on the beach. It got to be waist deep. A few kid helped me along the way, and I felt like I really accomplished something. I did it cave-man style, which means all I used were my hands and a stick. I did use a paper cup for a minute, but it was pretty useless.
Worship was amazing. The Turning did more songs that we knew, and the kids really got into them. They really try to get us to focus on the lyrics that they are singing. Mark spoke about the Holy Spirit and living by the spirit. A lot of times we feel that living by the Bible is so limiting, but he said good things have to have limits, and that having limits isn't a bad thing. He talked about a musician, and how there are only a few keys on a piano. Does a musician get upset and frustrated because they only have a few notes that they can play. Of course not. That increases their creativity. They have freedom to created inside those limits. I mean, he did a better job of communicating this than I am, but basically, living by the Spirit isn't limiting, it's freedom. It was a message I think we needed to hear.
Then we ended the night by having a concert by The Turning. They did a lot of their original songs, which were great, but I have to admit that my favorite was a cover of "Take on Me" by Ah-Ha. But the kids really had a great time with the concert, and it was fun watching all of the dancing. I think Day 2 was an awesome day.

No comments: