Thursday, September 11, 2008

Slam




"Slam" is a book by Nick Hornby, who also wrote one of my favorite movies (High Fidelity). It's about a 15 yr. old boy who idolizes Tony Hawk and all he wants to do in his life is skate. He does the typical teenage things with the typical teenage friends. He's got his skater friends, and he's got his girlfriend, who he feels he couldn't live without, even for a few hours. Until a couple of weeks later, when he grows tired of her always being around. Then several weeks later, she informs him that she is pregnant and he is the father.
The rest of the book is the thoughts and actions of a kid who is trying to come to grips with the end of his childhood and, in essence, his dreams to become a father. I think it dealt with the emotions of a boy in that situation as good as it could have been done. I didn't always like what the boy did, but I understood where he was coming from.
I think this was a fun story with some great, real-life experiences. And Tony Hawk actually has a big role in this book...in a way. But I'll let you read the book to figure out what that means.

No comments: