Monday, September 29, 2008

Wed Night Impact

It's been a while since I've kept up with my blog because of vacation and a few other things. I'm going to try to catch up on a bunch of it this afternoon. So, going back to last Wed, we are continuing our series on the Fruit of the Spirit b talking about patience, kindness and goodness.
Patience is something that I struggle with. I use to think I had a lot of patience, but that was before I was married and had a 2 year old. I was also living in a place that didn't have much traffic. When I moved into a place with a ton of traffic, and got married and had a son who cries a lot, then I started to get a more realistic idea of the fact that I have very little patience. Unfortunately, the Bible says the way you get patience is by trials. The more you go through, the more that patience grows in you. I was actually tested (at least I feel like it was a test) when I was on the airplane coming back from Newark. I had a 2 yr. old next to me, and one behind me. Parker did pretty good. He got a little grumpy towards the end of the trip, but for the most part did a great job. But the 2 yr. old behind me decided he was going to see how long and how high and how loud he could scream, and did it for most of the 3 hour ride. Fortunately, I had enough self-control that I didn't cram an apple down his throat and see how far off the wing I could bounce him. I just turned my iPod up. But, I think it's little things like that where God builds patience. I know people who don't pray for patience because they don't want to go through the process. I know people who pray for patience, Right NOW! It seems like God likes the process more than the end result, and wants to use things to build you. He could wave some sort of magic wand and give you a lot of patience, but I think He enjoys the process of building us.
Kindness: I just talked about how we are to show kindness, even to the people we don't choose to be kind too. We can be kind to total strangers when we choose to be. But we can feel validated of not showing kindness to the guy who cuts in line at a movie, or a guy who cuts us off on the road. It seems to me that kindness is something that is to flow out of us.
Goodness means consistently choosing to do good. We are going to obey God and do what He wants. We are going to try to do good for others and have other's well-being in mind too.
I think it was a good week overall.

No comments: