Friday, February 8, 2008

Cloverfield


I went and saw Cloverfield today. I heard it described as Godzilla meets the Blair Witch Project. It was shot in a style like it was all videotaped by one of the actors. The guy behind the camera was hilarious. I thought the movie was more funny than scary, but it definitely had a lot of action. I loved it. But the ending was left me unsatisfied. I want some closure. But movies seem to be doing that lately, they leave holes in the plot and ending. I guess I like it because there is a lot of conversation and discussion about the things that the movie doesn't fill you in on.
For instance, I have no idea why the movie is even called Cloverfield. There wasn't a field or a clover in the movie. Well...I guess Central Park was in it for a minute. Is cloverfield another name for Central Park? Also, I wonder what the thing was and where did it come from? I took the guy I'm mentoring and we had a good conversation about some of things that we didn't see in the movie. I like being able to use my imagination a little bit and fill in the blanks, because my ideas are probably better than what the movie director would have been able to do anyways.
But, if you like action...this was a good movie. However, I pretty much like every movie I see, except for dramas and movies with Steven Segal or Jean Claude Van Damme.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I still have not seen Cloverfield as of yet but maybe soon. I do know why it's called Cloverfield though. Producer J.J.Abrams’ production company Bad Robot is located on West Olympic Blvd. in Santa Monica, California. The office is located just minutes away from the Santa Monica Airport and Clover Field Blvd. Santa Monica Airport was also originally called Clover Field. The movie was never intended to be called Cloverfield permanently. It was just the secret project name until they came up with a real name, but as the movie making process came along they just went ahead and named it Cloverfield...I guess they didn't know what else to call it.
I did see the trailer that showed the monster so a little of that MUST-SEE-THIS-MOVIE desire has disappeared. I wonder.....did you see the scene after the credits that supposedly sets up a sequel?