Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I Sold My Soul on eBay

"I Sold My Soul on eBay" was an excellent book. I just finished reading it last night, and there hasn't been a book since Donald Miller's "Blue Like Jazz" that I've liked more and haven't been able to put down. This was a man who is an atheist who put himself up on eBay. For every $10 that somebody bid, he would go to a church service. Little did he know that somebody was going to pay $504. He had to go to 50 church services. He went to small churches, medium churches, large churches, and even mega churches. He went to traditional, contemporary, emergent, and catholic services. He hit rural, suburban and inner-city. He went to a huge variety of worship services in search of God. He thought that maybe he missed something and was checking to see if he could be convinced about the truth of God.
The part I enjoyed the most about this book was when he was critiquing the churches. He talked about everything from the parking lots to the music to the sermon. It was interesting what he liked and what he didn't. There were a lot of things that he didn't understand or that he thought were ridiculous that are some of the same things that I think are ridiculous or I don't understand at church. (Not so much that I don't understand them, I just don't understand why we continue to do them). He brought a different light on how to reach people who believe differently and he ended the book with what it would take to convert him and what churches could do if they wanted to reach more unbelievers. Interestingly, he said that churches should do more service to the community and help meet needs. It just so happens that we are going to the Baptist Children's Home this weekend to do that very thing.
I would recommend this book to anybody who wants to know how to help unbelievers see a different view of God. I also think it is great to see a different view of atheism. I have to admit, I always think atheists hate God and hate Christians and just want to fight all the time, but Hemant seemed very open to Christians and wanted to help them do a better job at attracting those who think different than us.

No comments: