Sunday, August 24, 2008

13 Best Rock-n-Roll Band Names

I really like music. There are a million bands out there and I think it's interesting to see how bands come up with their names. Some bands have boring names, like Dave Matthews Band (they're a great band, just a boring name). But others have super creative names, and here is my list of the Top 13.

13. Mark Needs a Chick. This was a punk band out of Dallas. I think the whole idea was to get this Mark guy a girl friend. They were Christians, and actually had a pretty cool sound. But you'd be super lucky to find any music from these guys anymore. They were around about 10 years ago.

12. Stunt Monkey. This is a punk band out of San Jose. Really, I like this name because it has "monkey" in it. They are a good band and have some great songs on their album. (The Arctic Monkeys could go here as well).

11. The Ataris. This name goes great with this band. They sing a lot about nostalgia things from when they were kids, from hooking up at the skating rink to watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. So naming themselves after an 80's gaming system goes along with these guys perfectly.

10. ...and they will know us by the trail of dead. I think this is a creative name, because usually you only have 2 or 3 words in a band's name, and this one has 1o. I'm not sure how they came up with it, but I think it's cool.

9. Big Head Todd. Every time I hear this band's name I get a little chuckle. I imagine a guy with an inflated head walking around saying, "Hi, I'm Todd." Todd's a funny name.

8. Weezer. Great name for a great band. These guys are the epitome of nerd rock. Rivers is the biggest nerd in rock-n-roll which makes him one of the coolest guys at the same time.

7. Me First and the Gimmie Gimmes. This is a band that only plays cover songs. All of the members are in other bands and this is their side project. I just think the name is awesome.

6. G Love and the Special Sauce. Doesn't just the name of this band make you want to go and download their album. These guys are a lot of fun, and they have a super fun name.

5. Big D and The Kids Table. Again, they just have a fun name. They have so much fun on stage too. It fits them.

4. Rage Against the Machine. Good name and it fits the band. These guys were always mad about something and tried to make music that helped make change. I didn't agree with them much of the time, but they did have a great band name. If these guys were called Bologna, I don't think anybody would have given them a chance.

3. Hoobastank. I think this is a fun word to say. They're never going to be taken as seriously as bands like U2 or even Green Day because of they're name, but still they chose a super-creative name that kinda actually fits them.

2. Scary Kids Scaring Kids. Another fun name. They're music is pretty similar to most other screamo bands out there, but their name is so great that they're doing pretty good. It makes you want to listen to them.

1. Sloppy Meateaters. This is a very forgettable band with an unforgettable name. I bought their cd just because I liked the name so much. I think this is the most creative name and that's why they get number 1.


Honorable Mentions: Guns-n-Roses, Five Iron Frenzy, Fourth Grade Nothing, Ghoti Hook, Save Ferris, Mad Caddies, Streetlight Manifesto, Nada Surf
I would like to hear from you guys who you think should be on this list. I know some of these bands are local bands many of you haven't heard of, so you can use local bands if you want.

1 comment:

MMA Lady said...

The Hoodoo Gurus, 10,000 Maniacs, Screaming Trees, The Lightning Seeds, The House Martins