Saturday, August 23, 2008

13 Dumbest Professional Sport Team Names

I was watching Sportscenter the other day and I started thinking about how dumb some of the team names were. So I decided to compile a list of the worst names in professional sports. I chose from NFL, NBA, NHL, Major League Baseball and Major League Soccer. Here is what I came up with

13. Toronto Raptors. when I was a kid and they were teaching us about dinosaurs, we never learned about the raptors. We learned about brontosaurus, stegosaurus, triceratops, and tyrannosaurus rex, but never about raptors. Then Jurassic Park came out and suddenly everybody think the Raptor is the scariest dinosaur ever. Anyways, Toronto is not scary and they could have chosen a better name that wasn't so...Jurassic Park.

12. Nashville Predators. This is a group of animals that eat other animals. It's not specific. I think they were trying to think of something dangerous and came up with this. As far as dangerous things from Nashville, they could have come up with a better name, like the Nashville Dixie Chicks.

11. New Orleans Saints. I've been to New Orleans, and it seems to me that they took pride on being anything but saintly. Maybe they were going for ironic.

10. Philadelphia Phillies. Lets take the first few letters of our city's name and see if we can find another word that matches. If we did that with more cities, we could have the New York Newlyweds. We could have the Chicago Chinks. We could have the Seattle Searchers. I'm sure this could go on and on.

9. Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Reds. Let's just name our team after a color. I think these are the 2 least creative names in sports. "Ok, we gotta come up with a team name. What do you think we should name them?"
"Uh, uh, uh...how about Brown."
"Brilliant!"
(same conversation for Red)
Interesting that both of these teams are in Ohio.

8. LA Clippers. I don't know what a Clipper is. This team is always going to be overshadowed by the Lakers because of their name. They should come out with something like the LA Paparazzi. That's scary, and there will always be pictures.

7. Utah Jazz. What? When I think of Utah I don't think of Jazz. I think of Mormons and salt. I only know of one band that ever came out of Utah (The Used) and they weren't jazz. This would be like calling a team in Oklahoma City the Dolphins. The only dolphins in Oklahoma are made of plastic.

6. Houston Dynamo. This sounds like people were getting around and put in some words into a thesaurus and typed in power and found this word. I just think it sounds dumb. Let's just call them the Wonderboys instead.

5. Columbus Blue Jackets. This is a hockey team, and I'm not quite sure what they were going for. Well, it's hockey and it's cold out there on the ice, so people have to wear jackets. Bill has a blue one on, so let's go with Blue Jackets.

4. Ottawa Senators. This doesn't make sense to me at all. Maybe it's a Canadian thing. But why would there be senators in Ottawa. And even if that is where the government stuff happens, why would you name your team after elected officials. I just think it's a dumb name.

3. Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Why name your team after a kids movie. I know Disney owns the team and they made the movie, but I just think... "wow that's a sell-out name."

2. New York Red Bulls. It's bad enough that all the stadiums are named after corporations now, but now teams are starting to do that. I'm afraid this is going to be a rising trend. Next we'll have the Albuquerque Ex lax.

1. Houston Texans. I mean come on. This is a ridiculous name. If it was a high school team, maybe, but this is the NFL. Come up with a creative, vicious name. Especially when most of your team aren't even Texans. I like the Oilers better. Plus they had cool helmets. If this catches on, think of some of the other team names that will begin to happen. The Little Rock Arkansans. The Montgomery Alabamans. The Atlanta Georgians. The Providence Rhode Islanders. The Helena Montanans (or if Disney owns this team then it'll be the Hannah Montanans).

Runners Up: Green Bay Packers, Washington Nationals, San Antonio Spurs, Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox, Boston Bruins.

No comments: