Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wed. Night Impact

Last night was the first Wed. night for the new 6th graders. It was also the first one without our former 8th graders (who were 6th graders when I started here at Harvest). Jerry led the worship and did a good job. I did a little different type of sermon. Usually my messages are topical, about serving, faith, or love. I wet through a passage of scripture that I really liked last night. It was 2 Corinthians 5. Some of my favorite verses are in that passage. 5:13 talks about being out of your mind. We talked about how we should have the same mind as Christ. Don't worry about ourselves, but be concerned about what Jesus is concerned about. 5:17 says we are a new creation. I talked about how we are no longer slaves to our sinful nature. We are a new creation. Verse 20 says that we are Christ's ambassadors. We have a huge responsibility in that verse. We represent Christ on Earth. That means we need to know what he stands for so we can stand for those things too. And the entire scripture is about reconciliation, which means to be equal. It's like when you owe a debt, and somebody cancels it, and nobody owes anything. The debt has been reconciled. Because Jesus died on the cross our sins have been reconciled. We don't owe God anything. This isn't a license to sin. It's the gift of grace, and out of that grace we have a responsibility to live as Jesus wants us to live. I think it went pretty good.

No comments: