Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Cutting Edge

Yesterday I was having lunch at Wendy's with some guys on the staff here, and we started talking about different things that are going on in our ministries. One got some complaints about music he was playing, and the complaint was that it was too loud and hard. It was David Crowder, who in my opinion is great, and kinda on the softer side to the stuff I listen to. We sing David Crowder songs during worship all the time, so it was weird that he got a complaint.
So, he was told to tone it down and play some older contemporary stuff, like Delirious and things like that.
I started thinking about this. One, you're never going to be able to please everybody. Somebody is always going to have a different opinion or a different preference to what they want to experience. Two, you are never going to be cutting edge if you continue to go back to where people are comfortable. If we stay in the 80's or 90's, we'll only attract people from that era. In my opinion, this is one of the things that has been hurting the church for several decades, that people get stuck in routine and traditions that remind them of times in their past. I think we need to be looking to the future. It's weird when you go into a church and it seems like you've hit a time warp back to 1985. We don't have to adapt to culture and let it impact us, but we can see the quality of things that people are listening to or watching and attempt to match it, or even attempt to set the bar for that quality. I think I could go on about this for a while, so...I'm going to stop. I am interested in what others think, even if you disagree with me, I would love to see it from another angle about what people want out of their church experience.

No comments: