Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Texas Youth Commission

I'm going to start being a mentor for the Texas Youth Commission. This is for kids who have committed serious crimes, and they're not charged as an adult, but it's past the juvenile detention stuff. It usually has to do with super violent crimes or sexual assault crimes. My job is going to be to mentor a kid after he gets out on parole.
I'm super excited about this, really, more excited than I have been about anything in a while. I know it'll be hard, but it'll also be great to be a positive influence on a kid and have the chance to make a positive impact into someone's life.
I met the parole officer today and next week I'll get to meet the kid I've been matched with. Pray for me about this, that I'm able to build a good trusting relationship quickly.
Here's the site for the Texas Youth Commission in case anybody is interested in becoming a mentor too.

No comments: