Monday, January 28, 2008

One thing I wish would change


I love sports. I love watching them and I love playing them. I'm a big OU Sooner football fan. I love the Oakland Athletics and the Chicago Cubs and the San Francisco Giants and 49ers. This year OU went to the Big 12 Championship and the game was in San Antonio, so Suzy and I got tickets from a friend and went to the game. It was a lot of fun, especially since OU dominated Missouri.
But I started thinking about how much we spent. I've been talking to an orginazation that helps free girls who were sold into sex slavery. For the amount of money that I spent that night, we could have helped 2 girls stay out of the brothels for 2 months. It made me start thinking about my priorities.
I just read this article about the price of Super Bowl tickets. The average price is $4300. Some are paying as much as $40,000 for their tickets and hotel rooms. I just pulled out my calculator. $4300 could give schooling, medical supplies, and food to 12 children in Africa for a year. $40.000 could help 112.
$4300 could support a former sex slave for 3 and a half years. $40,000 could support her for 33 and a half years. And people are using it for some entertainment that will last about 5 hours.
A-Rod signed a deal for $236 million. He could not look me in the eye and say he believes he is worth that much money for playing a game. But the Yankees are willing to give it to him, so why not take it. Tom Cruise can't tell me that he feels he is worth $20 million a movie. But the producers will pay it, so why not take it. The producers and the Yankees aren't really the ones paying for it. They're still going to make their money. The people are paying for it are the fans. They'll keep raising ticket prices for movies and for games as long as people keep paying to go see them.
I don't think we should boycott movies or athletic events, but I think we should start looking at things from a different view. Instead of paying for tings that really don't matter and won't mean anything in 50 years, let's start doing stuff that can have an eternal difference in somebody's life.

No comments: