Wednesday, March 19, 2008

888 Reading Challenge

I read about this a little while ago. The 888 challenge is where you commit to reading 8 books in 8 categories with a limit of 8 being able to go in 2 categories. For example, you can have The Johnny Cash autobiography in a biography category as well as in just for fun. If you use all 8 overlaps, then you will be reading 56 books. When I first read this, I assumed there wasn't a chance in the world I could ever read 56 books in one year, but it's the middle of March, and I think I'm going to try. I've already read a few, and I am going to try to finish them all.

Here are the ones that I'm going to try

Ministry Related Books (Personal Growth):

I Sold My Soul on eBay
Jim and Casper go to Church
Be the Change
UnChristian
Velvet Elvis
Finding Faith: A Search for What Makes Since
Looking for God: An Unexpected Journey through Tattoos, Tofu & Pronouns
This Beautiful Mess


Ministry Related Books (Youth Ministry)

Controlled Chaos
Loser's Club
My Life Unscripted: Who's Writing Your Life
Outflow: Youth Version
Kurt and Scott's Junior High Adventure
Crazy Love
Postmodern Youth Ministry
The Missional Church

Biographies & Memoirs

Cash: The Autobiography
Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Meth Addiction
Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions
Steve Martin: Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life
Enslaved: True Stories of Modern Day Slaves
Stranger at the Gate
Tweak: Growing up on Methamphetamines
The Chris Farley Show: A Biography in 3 Acts

Slavery


Growing Up in Slavery: Stories of Young Slaves as told by Themselves
A Crime so Monstrous: Face-to Face with Modern Day Slavery
Enslaved: True Stories of Modern Day Slaves
Not for Sale: The Return of the Global Slave Trade and How we can stop it
Be the Change
Unspeakable The Hidden Truth Behind The World's Fastest Growing Crime
Sex Trafficking: The Global Market in Women and Children
Woman, Child - For Sale

Classics

Catcher in the Rye
Catch-22
Slaughterhouse 5
1984
Fahrenheit 451
Animal Farm
Lord of the Flies
The Great Gatsby

Young Adult

Tweak: Growing up on Methamphetamines
Slam
Spanking Shakespeare
Notes from the Teenage Underground
Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature
Spud
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick's Rules
Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Just for Fun

Through Painted Desert
Generation Change
To Own A Dragon: Reflections about growing up Without a Father
This Beautiful Mess: Practicing the Presence of the Kingdom of God
Loser's Club
The Shack
Enrique's Journey
Crazy Love


I also have the power to change books at any given time. The books in purple mean I've already read them. I will keep this page up to date as I finish the books. It's a goal to read all of these books, we'll see if I make it.

1 comment:

cslewis3147 said...

the great gatsby is good, catcher in the rye was weird and not what I expected...i'd be interested to see what you think of velvet elvis as Rob Bell is sort of a heretic in some circles...I also liked Blue Like Jazz, because it made me think, not because I agreed with D. MIller's theology...