Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Velvet Elvis


I just finished this book by Rob Bell (the guy who does the Nooma videos), and I loved it. It is called Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith, and it is a look at some of the traditions and things that we believe from another angle. It's to get us to think about what it really means to be someone who is called a Christian and what it really means to be a follower of Jesus.
A few things that I really liked about the book were how he put the historical and cultural context around the scriptures he was using. When quoting Jesus, he told us what the people who were standing there listening would have actually been associating with the words. Some of those things I already knew, but a lot of them I didn't.
Another idea in the book that I hadn't really thought about before, but I loved, was the idea of heaven on Earth. Heaven isn't just a place that we are going to be when we die. We have to live and suffer in this world, but we will be rewarded with heaven, but Rob talked about having a heaven on earth. So many times people live in poverty, abuse, and sickness, which is hell on earth. Hell is described as the absence of God, so all of those things are not of God. But giving, forgiving, mercy, love; these are all things of God, and if we start loving people and showing mercy and help to people, this is bringing heaven to earth. I'm still thinking about this, but I like the idea of bringing heaven to earth by acting in ways that God wants us to live.
Just a couple of days ago, I was driving downtown, and I was already a little frustrated because of how busy it was down there. It was a mistake to try to go downtown during the beginning of Spring Break. So, I'm driving and I'm stopped at a light, and I'm the third car in the light. The light turns green, and the car behind me starts honking. It makes me mad, because honking isn't going to do anything at this point, especially honking at me since I am the third car in the line. So, what do I do? I slow way down. It was at one of the lights that has the timer so you know how long you have to make it. I slowed down until the light almost hit zero, then I sped through the light. It changed to red and the honker had to wait at the light. I was so happy. But, I was happy because I knew I had made that driver, who was also very frustrated, even more upset. I was bringing hell on earth to this guy. That's not how I need to be. I can understand the driver's frustration, because I was equally frustrated, but I need to show compassion and mercy to people, even when they are being idiots and honking at me.
There are so many good things in this book and great ideas about God. Rob Bell was very transparent and open about his life and his struggles and his feelings. I loved that. This will be a book I will read again some time.

No comments: